Monday, January 6, 2014

Episode 4: Bend Time Back 'Round

In the dining room at the hotel for her engagement party, Hailey stands frozen before Colin for the first time in years. Stunned that he's standing before her at her engagement party, she struggles to say a word to him.
HAILEY: C-colin!

Colin also stands, seemingly stunned, before her, unsure what to say back, or even if to smile.

COLIN: Hailey...congratulations.

Colin gives a faint smile as Hailey steps hesitantly toward him before Brad steps in, a glimmer of mistrust and insecurity in him. Brad quickly puts his arm around Hailey's waist and motions to Colin, effectively putting up an invisible barrier between Colin and Hailey.

BRAD: Colin surprised us all today.
HAILEY: You didn't know he was coming?
BRAD: No, he actually just showed up as we were leaving tonight.

Brad looks up and smiles at Colin.

BRAD: I'm really glad you could be here to help us celebrate our engagement, man. It means a lot.

Colin nods and gives an awkward, half-hearted smile.

COLIN: It's...it's good to be here. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.
BRAD: Thanks, man. You know it really means a lot to both of us that you're here.

Brad squeezes Hailey as he speaks, and Hailey tenses a bit before catching herself and forcing a smile.

COLIN: I'm just glad I could...you know...reconnect with my family, and...old friend like Hailey. You know? I know you two are gonna be happy together.
BRAD: Yeah, this one here...she's special. Can't let her get away, you know?

Brad presses into Hailey and surprises her with an intense kiss, eliciting cat calls from the party behind them. Colin winces slightly at this obvious display, but stops himself and feigns a smile.

Eva and Anna are sitting nearby, smiling at the "happy couple", as Lucas rejoins them. Trey, meanwhile is fixated on his phone, and Eva smacks him gently for it.

EVA: Would you put that thing away. God, you're as bad as your little brother.
TREY: Hey, if this was Allen, he wouldn't have taken the half a second to look at you just now.
EVA: *rolls eyes* True enough.
LUCAS: *laughing* Still having trouble with Allen?
EVA: Ugh, you know how teenagers are. I love the little guy but...you know, sometimes I just feel like he's never going to accept me as a parent. Or even, just his dad's wife.
ANNA: Well, honey, I mean...he's at least come to like you. I mean, he at least listens to you, no?
EVA: Honestly? He listens to Trey more than he listens to me. And even THAT took years to build.
TREY: It wasn't easy, but, I finally got through to him. At least a little bit.
EVA: I mean, he wasn't as bad as a kid but...he's such an angry kid. You'd think his feelings would mellow over time.
ANNA: Sometimes they don't.
EVA: Yeah, but...ten years? Come on, Anna.
LUCAS: Well, I mean...I didn't realize this was still a problem. I mean...has he ever seen a therapist? Maybe that could help. I mean, you can certainly afford it now, with how well Nathan's done with the IntuiBrake project.
EVA: Yeah, but...I don't know that I want to force him into something like that, you know? I feel guilty, like, like it's something I've done to him, and I don't wanna make it worse.

Trey leans over and hugs his mom. Anna smiles and holds her sister's hand. Eva seems to snap out of it for a second and looks over at her phone.

EVA: And still no word from my dear ol' husband.
ANNA: Yeah, he really is taking a long time to get here.
EVA: I know, I don't know what's taking so long. It better be damned important.


* * *



Atlantic HQ
Nathan Williams sits at his desk at Atlantic Motor Co.'s head office. Along the wall of his office are plaques commemorating his acheivements, in particular for his work on the IntuiBrake system that has won Atlantic many awards in the past year, and helped Nathan's family earn a more than reasonable living.

Tonight, Nathan sits fixed to his desk, going over files of research and testing he's done. On his computer screen is a news report from a small town news site in West Virginia, where a recent model Atlantic was involved in an accident, crashing into a parked car. Nathan appears troubled by the report.

He flips to another tab in his web browser which notes a similar scene involving Windsor vehicle (from Atlantic's more upscale division) causing a pile-up on a local expressway in Northern Ontario, Canada. As he furrows his brow, making notes about the reports and printing out the reports, he hears a notification of a text on his phone.

Checking it, it's from Trey, asking where he is. Nathan hastily types out "@ work tell eva ill b there by 11", before setting his phone down and heading for the printer room.

The door to the printer room swings open as Nathan pulls out the reports. In walks Gina Paxton, Jackson's secretary.

GINA: Nathan! You're here awfully late.
NATHAN: I could say the same for you.

Gina stands by Nathan, looking into her phone and texting as she talks.

GINA: Well, you know me. I'm always willing to lend a hand to the boss.
NATHAN: I'm sure Jackson appreciates it.
GINA: Well, he sure doesn't act like it.

Going into camera mode, Gina checks her hair through her phone, before locking her shiny white iPhone and stowing it away in her Coach clutch.

GINA: Besides, I'm basically done. Just gotta get changed and it's off to Hailey's engagement party.
NATHAN: Yeah, I'm not sure when I'm gonna be there.
GINA: Aww, that sucks.
NATHAN: Did you need a ride over when you go?
GINA: No, I have a date tonight. But thanks!
NATHAN: Oh? Who's the lucky guy.
GINA: Oh just some random. Nothing big. I'm only going to make someone jealous.

Gina giggles and goes to head out.

NATHAN: That someone isn't Brad, is it?
GINA: Oh come on, Nathan. You're gonna have to try harder than that. Have a good night!

Gina sashays from the room. The sound of her heels click as she walks down the hall. Nathan shakes his head and laughs to himself.

NATHAN: That girl is nothing but trouble, man.

Nathan steps back to his office and grabs his coat. He files the reports away in his briefcase and steps out of the office.


* * *

Back at the party, Marian stands out on the terrace, looking out at the lake. Lucas steps out to catch some fresh air for a moment and stops in the doorway upon seeing Marian.

LUCAS: Marian.

Marian, deep in thought, barely notices Lucas calling to her, but still responds.

MARIAN: Yes?
LUCAS: How are you?

Marian, finally clueing in to who's talking to her and turns around quickly. If she could back up she would, but is pressed against the railing.

MARIAN: Lucas! What are you doing out here?

Lucas slowly walks over to her, relaxed, hands in pockets. Marian's discomfort mounts as he approaches.

LUCAS: Same thing as you. Just came out to get some fresh air, clear my head.
MARIAN: Right, well...I came out here to be alone, you know.
LUCAS: Oh I'm sure. Lot going on tonight.
MARIAN: That's for sure.
LUCAS: I see Colin's home.
MARIAN: Yes, he just came home tonight. First time I'd seen him in...oh...God...quite awhile now.
LUCAS: He looks a lot like you, you know. Lucas is now fairly close to Marian, and at Lucas' last words she draws herself up and motions at Lucas to stop.
MARIAN: Lucas, please.
LUCAS: Whose idea was it for him to come home?
MARIAN: Well, I had called him but I didn't expect him to actually come--
LUCAS: Oh you didn't, hm? Look, I'm not exactly thrilled about this engagement either, but it's what Hailey wants. And I'm willing to set aside my feelings about Brad and your rat of a husband--
MARIAN: Lucas...

Lucas stops himself, relaxing again as he continues.

LUCAS: Sorry. Look I'm willing to play nice for her sake. But if your son, either of your sons, hurts my daughter again, don't expect me to sit in silence, okay?
MARIAN: That won't be a problem.
LUCAS: I hope not. And you can tell Jackson that too.
JACKSON: What exactly did you want to tell me, Carter?

Jackson appears, arms folded with a concerned look on his face, leaning against the doorway to the terrace. His response startles Lucas who turns around quickly to face him.


Back inside, the party is in full swing, with friends and family chatting over champagne and h'ors d'oeuvres. Hailey is chatting with Trey when Gina walks in with her date, a very pretty 20-something man in a suit. Hailey immediately turns and runs toward her best friend. The girls scream as they hug, surprising many at the party.

HAILEY: Oh my GOD, I'm so happy you're here!
GINA: Are you kidding? I would not miss this. You're like, my best friend in the entire world.
HAILEY: OMG, I'm so happy you finally made it, and with such a sexy guy with you. I'm Hailey, and you are...?

Hailey holds out her hand for the young man, who kisses her hand and winks. Hailey raises an eyebrow and gives Gina a look.

HAILEY: Charming.

Hailey giggles and Gina joins her. Gina's date takes it in stride, and laughs along with them.

PAUL: I'm Paul. I work at head office with Gina.
HAILEY: Ohhh! Well, nice to meet you.
GINA: And Hailey is the lucky girl who's going to marry Brad.

Paul suddenly clues in and drops Hailey's hand at the realization. Brad walks over to them at that moment as well.

PAUL: OH!
BRAD: Paul, good to see you, man.

Paul gives a nervous handshake to Brad.

PAUL: Brad.
GINA: Yyyyep. So you're stuck with me for the rest of the night.
PAUL: Hey come on! I'm just being friendly.
GINA: Yeah yeah.
HAILEY: Come on in, guys. I'll get you a seat.

Hailey and Brad lead them into the dining hall, but as Hailey looks over toward the table, Colin, mid-conversation with Hailey's sister Stephanie, once again catches her eye. Steph notices this immediately and excuses herself from her chat with Colin. She takes her sister by the arm and hastily leads her to the ladies room.

Once inside, Steph grabs Hailey by the shoulders and looks her straight in the eyes.

STEPH: What in the Hell are you doing? Could you be any more transparent?
HAILEY: What the Hell are you talking about what the Hell am I--
STEPH: Colin, Hailey, Colin! I'm talking about this longing gaze you're getting in your eyes whenever you're within 100ft of him. What are you doing, Hailey?!

Hailey is stunned and struggles to give an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment